In our last two visits to Pier 68 and the surrounding area of the Delaware River, volunteers helped to clean over 17,000 lbs. of debris and recycables from the water and it's banks! This year, we've added a special Tuesday evening service project for the wonderful staff and students of the Youth Volunteer Corps of Philadelphia.
The Delaware River has a significant fish habitat, identified by the Philadelphia Water Department, and many fisherman enjoy the pier for recreation and solitude, despite the polluted waters. The DRWC helped to transform the previously abandoned Pier 68 into a new waterfront destination for active recreation and waterfront enjoyment. Because of heavy use, the newly developed and still abandoned piers alike collect trash left by visitors and debris blown over from Columbus Blvd. and beyond.
We will meet at Pier 68 and fan out to the North, up to Washington Ave., and to the South beyond the piers.
Our cleanups include work and play, throughout the evening we will holding competitions with prizes including free UBB merchandise. If you have any questions, plase call 215-278-7858 or email [email protected]
Parking is available at the Wal-Mart/Old Navy parking lot in front of the pier. Volunteers should park in the lot and walk down towards the pier, keeping a lookout for the United By Blue crew.
• Click here for a handy bike map.
By Public Transportation from Old City, Philadelphia (varies depending on start point):
- Walk to Columbus Blvd. and Race St.
- Take Bus 25 towards Columbus Commons
- Exit Bus at Pier 70 Blvd. and Columbus Blvd.
- Walk down Pier 70 Blvd. through the parking lot to Pier 68
By Car from Old City, Philadelphia:
- Head South on Columbus Blvd. and continue to follow S. Columbus Blvd. for 2 miles
- Turn Left on to Pier 70 Blvd.
- Park in the lot (close to Wal-Mart) and walk down towards Pier 68, keeping a lookout for the United By Blue crew.